Our History - Three Generations... In 1937, Mr. Alvin Britsch embarked on a career in the food business that lasted over 30 years. He opened his first restaurant at 1703 Avenue M. It was called The Bobcat Grill. Alvin originated the famous "Pepper Steak" in 1939. He left the food business for a short period of time, returning to it in 1946, when he and his son, Leroy Horace, along with six other men who were members of the local Hermann Sons Lodge, moved the existing barracks from the Hondo Air Base to the present location. Alvin originally intended to serve only a limited menu mostly his delicious hamburgers, homemade chili, and a couple of other items. However, one day a sales man came in with one of the regular customers and was carrying a brown bag containing a steak. He asked Alvin to prepare it for him. The gentleman enjoyed his steak so much that he suggested that Alvin add steak to his limited menu. Thus, the beginning of Hermann Sons Steak House.
When Alvin retired in 1965, his son Leroy Horace and wife Grace purchased the steak house. Under their ownership and operation, Hermann Sons Steak House became one of the most popular and well-known steak houses in South Texas. Quality dining and a relaxed atmosphere became their trademark. In 1994, Leroy Horace and Grace retired, and their son, Bryce purchased the steak house. Today, Bryce and his wife Kimberly own and operate the restaurant. This began the third generation of the Britsch Family tradition. Many of Alvin's and Leroy Horace's recipes have been handed down to Bryce and are still being used today. You may also see our two wonderful children working in the family business. Our son, Corbyn, likes to run the register and our daughter, Ella, is really good at seating the customers.